Rio Rancho, NM, United States
Blues, Folk, Singer-songwriter, roots rock
“..All music is folk music, I never heard any horses doin’ it.”
Lightning Hall is an artist who blends the soulful sound of early
He sings, plays guitar and harmonica and writes and performs
Lightning Hall is committed to creating and performing
Blues Machine, his first release, is comprised of eleven acoustic originals with harmonica accompaniment. From straight ahead blues compositions, to songs telling stories of human struggle and survival, to the humorous and quirky, all are inspired by a love of
Secrets and Ruins, his second is filled with eight originals painted with an acoustic roots, folk and blues brush. They are inspired by the ghost towns of the West and Southwest and the recent “Great Recession’s” similarities to the Great Depression of the thirties. Secrets and Ruins includes songs with a full rhythm section. Much of the music could be put in the contemporary “Americana” category popular today, but “roots music” is more apt.
He has been described as a “very compelling blues artist” and
He supports animal rights and the ASPCA.
I’ve always been creative. I have education and practice in visual arts. And I have always loved music. I grew up listening to many different kinds of music; classical, ragtime, bluegrass, 70’s soul, ’50’s and ’60’s rock. When my step father joined the family in the late ’70s, he brought a big collection of records he had been given by an old DJ friend. I found all kinds of rock, R&B, blues, even early rap and that expanded my ear a great deal.
My first release, called Blues Machine, ranged from straight acoustic blues to sort of an Americana-ish, bluegrass like style. And all of the songs were sung with acoustic guitar(s) and harmonica. My latest release, Secrets and Ruins, differs because there are some songs in a style less influenced by blues. It’s available at: http://www.cdbaby.com/lightninghall . It is a collection of songs that were in some ways inspired by the recent Great Recession, and it’s similarities to the Great Depression. And I found a rich place to seek new ideas for stories in exploring things that might have taken place in the ghost towns of the West, which have long interested me. It also has songs with a rhythm section. It’s a further study in developing my own songwriting and guitar style. This release is a hybrid of folk-blues-country-etc, I believe that’s what they call pop/rock, right? Acoustic in this case. I think it tends to run a bit into Glen Campbell/John Denver territory. Comparisons can be useful to a point but after you’ve been playing, and writing for a certain amount of time you find your own style by just writing and getting out of your own way rather than striving to do something original.
– Began performing as a solo act 2008
– Radio airplay on “Suckfree Radio” internet radio Jan 2012-Oct. 2012
– Radio Airplay Ken Saydak’s “Trinidaddio Blues Hour”
– Released first, self produced, CD “Blues Machine” 2013
– Performed over 100 solo shows as of 2015
– Released second CD, “Secrets and Ruins” 2015
– Radio airplay on “TapDetroit” internet radio Oct. 2016.
– Accepted for Radio airplay on Talk Radio of Pahrump aka KWKI 106.9 FM, Pahrump,Nevada early 2017
– Accepted for future review, and opportunities on Middle Tennessee Music, Sacramento,California. Early 2017.
– Accepted for Radio airplay on Live From the Rock n’ Roll Ranch, Canadensis, Pennsylvania early 2017
– Accepted for Radio airplay on TBJS Radio Network, Poteau, Oklahoma early 2017.
– Accepted for Radio airplay on InnerVisions, Berea, KY early 2017
– Accepted for Radio airplay on Andy’s Attic Radio, Abbotsford, BC, Canada early 2017.
– Accepted for Radio airplay on World Mix Inet. http://www.worldmixinet.com, Moffat,Colorado 81143
– Accepted for Radio airplay by WCPR NetWork
-“Secrets and Ruins” release featured/reviewed by Independent Radio Trier, March 2017
– Accepted for Radio airplay on KPRG Public Radio, Guam June 2017.
-Accepted for Radio airplay on The Mikecast on 97.5FM -Somer Valley- U.K., Oct 2017.
-Accepted for Radio airplay on KKFI Community Radio, Kansas City, Missouri. Oct. 2017
-Gasoline, the third self produced Lightning Hall debuts. February 23rd. 2019
Gasoline, Feb. 2019, currently through Bandcamp.
Secrets And Ruins, 2015 through CD Baby.
Blues Machine, 2013 through CD Baby.
Performing as Erik Knudson:
Lightning Hall is proud to announce the release of Gasoline, a ten song collection of original rock, rhythm and blues.,
|Music Player URL 1|
|Music Player URL 2|
|Music Player URL 3|
|Video Player URL 1|
|Photo Gallery URL 1|
|Photo Gallery URL 2|